Solid Steel Competition
There is no fee for entry into this competition.
- One entry per company, per category.
- Person submitting the entry will receive $10 Amazon gift card via email.
- Projects may only be submitted once for this competition.
- All entries must be created using SDS/2 Version 2018 and newer.
- All projects must have been created within the last three years.
- New buildings, major retrofits or expansion projects are eligible.
- Complete and nearly complete projects can be submitted.
- A signed release form must be emailed to the attention of Stephanie Haith at email@example.com before the competition deadline.
- If no SDS/2 images are provided, SDS/2 will create those images which are used for judging.
- If your project is a finalist, you will participate in a testimonial at the SDS/2 Summit. If not present, we will make arrangements to do the testimonial remotely.
- All entries, including the job and fabricator, must be received at SDS/2 by July 31st, 2020.
A company can submit one entry to both the commercial and/or industrial main categories. After all entries are received, the commercial projects will be split into two subcategories based off structural steel tonnage.
A panel comprised of SDS/2 professionals, including an Engineer, Sales Representative, Programmer, Support Technician and a floater, will judge the entries for the Grand Prize and Second Place awards in the Commercial and Industrial categories. The award for Customers' Choice will be based off user voting. The judges' decisions are final.
Entries will be evaluated equally on:
- Aesthetics of the project
- Complexity - modeling difficulty, connection design
- Use of automatic software features vs user modeled
- Use of parametrics and custom members
A grand prize will be awarded to the winners of the Industrial, Commercial–Large Tonnage, Commercial–Small Tonnage and Customers' Choice categories. Based on the number of entries, second place winners may be awarded to specific categories.
One grand prize winner, for each category, will be awarded the following prizes:
- A tablet to the person that submits the project
- Free online training ($500 value)
- Project reference story placed in industry media outlets
- Animated video presentations of your project
- 1 complimentary SDS/2 Summit registration pass for next year ($450 value)
- $3,000 off one year of SDS/2 software service fees
Second place winners will be awarded the following prizes:
- $1,000 off one year of SDS/2 software service fees